"I am good but not an angel. I do sin, but I am not the devil. I am just a small girl in a big world trying to find someone to love." -M. Monroe

she dreams in poetry but writes in prose // she lives in ballet flats but likes to feel the grass between her toes // she craves her Starbucks fix // she's pearls and she's politics // she makes her own sunshine on a rainy day // she gets her work done but she lives to play.


Monday, November 22, 2010

I heart books

"The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel must be intolerably stupid" - Northanger Abbey, Jane Austen

This quote is from a novel that would be on my "ideal bookshelf." I first read about Jane Mount's designs on Where the Style Things Are. I love this idea! Now you can literally decorate your room or home with books.


The books on my ideal bookshelf might not be sophisticated classics, but all of these books mean something to me. They made me nostalgic for my childhood, touched me unforgettably, or changed me irrevocably. I limited this list to ten, but it was tough.

Anne of Green Gables - L.M. Montgomery
Little House on the Prairie - Laura Ingalls Wilder
A Porcupine Named Fluffy - Helen Lester
Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen
Northanger Abbey - Jane Austen
The Remains of the Day - Kazuo Ishiguro
The Giver - Lois Lowry
Atonement - Ian McEwan
My Sister's Keeper - Jodi Picoult
Harry Potter (not sure which...) - J.K. Rowling.

A complete list of one's favorite books is a clearer representation of them than any photograph. It exposes their values, likes, and view of the world. The authors describe their life, thoughts, and struggles better than they could themselves.

ab imo pectore,

Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment