"I am good but not an angel. I do sin, but I am not the devil. I am just a small girl in a big world trying to find someone to love." -M. Monroe

she dreams in poetry but writes in prose // she lives in ballet flats but likes to feel the grass between her toes // she craves her Starbucks fix // she's pearls and she's politics // she makes her own sunshine on a rainy day // she gets her work done but she lives to play.


Thursday, November 18, 2010

Harry Potter Thursday

Thanksgiving is just around the corner, and there are so many things to be thankful for, but mostly I'm thankful for...
HARRY POTTER!
Just a joke. Sort of.

I am a huge Harry Potter fan, and have read all the books several times. Tonight, I'm going to my first every Harry Potter midnight premiere. The books are absolutely spellbinding (pun intended), and while the movies could not possibly live up to the books, they are also great.

My friends are dressing up, (one is going to be the golden snitch!) but I'm not sure if I'm dressing up yet. I am wearing my house colors to class Friday, which are blue and bronze for Ravenclaw. Maybe I'm a Hufflepuff, though? I'm not quite sure. (Note: I ended up dressing up as Luna, complete with dirigible plum earrings, and I went barely awake in Hufflepuff colors to class the next day.)

Here is the trailer for the Part I of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, just to get you even more excited for the movie:



I do not consider the Harry Potter series to be about magic. Yes, they go to wizarding school, play Quidditch, and preform magic, but all these things serve as a mere backdrop and are secondary to real story. The real duels are not fought and won with wands, but with the heart. It is the characters that choose love, friendship, and selflessness over magic who are the "good" characters and whose vision ultimately prevails. Lily Potter's love and selflessness ensure Harry's survival against Voldemort's killing curse. Also, in the end, Harry defeats Voldemort in a duel, despite Voldemort's stronger wand and more advanced magical skills, because of the sacrifices people have made for Harry and for 'Good'. Although the heros of the books make devastating mistakes and are deeply flawed, their hearts are in the right place. This quote is central to the idea that character is more powerful than magical prowess:

"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities" - Albus Dumbledore in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.

ab imo pectore,

Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment