"I am good but not an angel. I do sin, but I am not the devil. I am just a small girl in a big world trying to find someone to love." -M. Monroe

she dreams in poetry but writes in prose // she lives in ballet flats but likes to feel the grass between her toes // she craves her Starbucks fix // she's pearls and she's politics // she makes her own sunshine on a rainy day // she gets her work done but she lives to play.


Tuesday, October 19, 2010

love like crazy

"Be a best friend, tell the truth, and overuse "I Love You." Go to work, do your best, don't outsmart your common sense. Never let your praying knees get lazy, and love like crazy." - Lee Brice


These are some more country music lyrics I love. Maybe he isn't implying everything I'm about to write, but these words inspired a lot of thought. I think all these exhortations center around a single message: To really put yourself out there and try in everything you do in a genuine way. If you have been sincere, then no matter what happens, you can feel good about it.


Sometimes it takes an incredible amount of bravery to do seemingly simple things like to really and openly try your best, to truly do everything that is involved in the incredible act of being a best friend to someone, and so simply say things the way they are, without worrying about how people will react. Being genuine is, ironically, one of the most difficult things to do sometimes


As for overusing "I Love You"...

A lot of people treat those words as something sacred, precious, to be locked away like fine china and only be taken out and used on special occasions, if ever. While I agree that exclamations like "omigosh I totes love that..." devalues the meaning of those three words, I've been thinking recently that "I Love You" shouldn't be treated as almost unsayable. I want it to be a part of my everyday. Something about the way it feels on my tongue, something about how the letters and syllables feel tactile. I would rather love too much than not enough. If someone cannot love you back, then it is truly their loss because at least you have loved and felt fully, whereas they have not had that experience. There is no shame in it. Say it to your parents, your friends, your boyfriend, anyone who means something to you - even if it doesn't last.


All of this above is why I sign my posts "ab imo pectore," or something like "from the bottom of my heart".



ab imo pectore,


Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment